A garage floor coating protects the underlying concrete, making it impermeable. The sealant improves the concrete’s stain resistance and makes it easier to clean. Throw in the low maintenance aspect and epoxy’s resistance to harsh chemicals, and it’s ideal for garage floors.
What Constitutes Garage Coatings?
In this particular example, we’ll deal with epoxy garage coatings. To get even more specific, a polyurea base with a polyaspartic to coat.
What Is Polyurea?
Polyurea is a polymer that chemically bonds to concrete surfaces. The nature of this bond is so strong that it withstands peeling and cracking throughout its lifespan. As long as it cures appropriately, it will even withstand hot tire pressure.
There are several types of polyurea available, and the kind we use depends on the application:
- A dry-to-the-touch option is ideal for garages because you need them to be easy to clean.
- A wet-to-the-touch variety might be better when curing concrete because it has more moisture resistance and is less rigid.
Why Are Polyurea Coatings Costly?
When it comes to garage floor coatings, polyurea is one of the more pricey options. Add a polyaspartic topcoat, and you increase your upfront costs even more. However, you get what you pay for here.
You can buy a kit to cover your garage workshop floor and convince an enthusiastic janitor to lay the epoxy, but these garage floor coating kits usually contain a low-grade product that will seldom work in a high-traffic area.
It’s also worth noting that you need to expertly prepare the surface before pouring the epoxy evenly without creating bubbles.
In short, you pay more for this garage floor coating because of the labor installation entails. Trying to DIY will usually result in disaster as the sealant is prone to lifting and peeling when not correctly placed.
However, we need to go beyond the base cost here. You also need to factor in the price of maintenance and the variety of uses. It’s here that polyurea blows all the other options out of the water.
The Benefits of a Polyurea Garage Floor Coating
No other coating lasts as well as polyurea with a polyaspartic base. As far as benefits go, there are several more to consider, including:
- Moisture, scratch, and scuff-resistance
- Durable even under harsh industrial conditions (epoxy has a 5 to 25-year lifespan)
- Bonds to the concrete so it won’t lift
- Absorbs impacts
- Protects the floor against heavy falling objects and foot traffic
- No fading, yellowing, or turning brittle due to sun exposure
- Virtually maintenance-free
- Easy to clean with warm water and soap
- Versatile in terms of decor with several colors from which to choose
- A range of additives available to customize your look or functionality
- Clever flake combinations allow you to replicate the look of expensive granite and other stone
- Quick to install and move-in ready within 24 to 48 hours
- Prevents stains and marks on the concrete surface
- Customizable to your needs
- Excellent traction, even when wet, thanks to a unique aggregate we add
- Outstanding heat resistance of between 266°F and 430°F
- Stable during extremes of temperature
- It can expand and contract, so it won’t become brittle in extreme cold
- Rejuvenates even old and shabby floors
How Much Should You Budget?
The cost depends on the coating you select, the size of the project, and any additives you choose. You’re looking at around $1 and $5 per square foot, but we encourage you to contact us for an exact quote.
By doing so, you can establish which compounds are best for your needs. Our expert inspectors perform an on-site visit to provide you with an accurate quote and additional information. We’ll apprise you of your options and find a workable solution to suit your needs and budget.
This visit is a free, no-obligation service that we offer potential clients. It gives us a chance to get to know you and your business better so we can offer personalized advice.
Are You Interested in Garage Floor Coatings?
Speak to Locust Grove’s top specialists, Concrete Coatings, by calling (678) 782 7580. We offer premium flake floors with a polyurea base and polyaspartic top coat. We take pride in servicing Locust Grove and the surrounding area.
Offering outstanding garage floor coatings is our way of giving back to the community we love. Our coatings improve your safety while saving you time and money.
Give us a call and learn more about our high-quality flake flooring, one-day installation process, and our 100% satisfaction guarantee.